Sep 24, 2010

David Tepper says don't fight the Fed

[The Fed] said they want economic growth, and not only do we not care if there's inflation, but we want a little more inflation. Have they ever said that before? No. They said they want the market up, so what am I going to say, "No, Fed, I disagree with you, I don't want to be long"?

Right now, what's going to happen? Two things are happening, it's that easy sometimes. Either the economy is going to get better by itself in the next three months, and what assets are going to do well? Stocks will do well, bonds won't do well, gold won't do so well. Or, the economy is not going to pick up in the next three months and the Fed's going to come in with QE, right? Then, what's going to do well?

Everything... in the near term.

So, let's see, what I got is two different situations. One, the economy gets better by itself. Stocks are better, bonds are worse, gold is worse, if you want to talk about those three assets. The other situation is, the Fed comes in with money. Now, up until the point the Fed comes in with money the stock market can go down a little bit-- but not that much! Because I got a put. Ya gotta love a put, especially when the government is issuing it.

So, I can't go down that much. It doesn't mean I go up until that point, but after that it means I go up, so what do I do? I gotta buy! I can't take the chance of not being a little bit longer now.

It's that easy. That's how easy it is.

~ David Tepper, president and founder, Appaloosa Management, CNBC's Squawk Box, September 24th, 2010

No comments: